Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2008 in review - aka Christmas Card

Seasons Greetings to all our Family and Friends!

Well “Change” has certainly been the theme for this O’Brien family of two for 2008 (and I’m not referring to politics, ugh)…WE MOVED!

On 7 January, I began a health unit coordinator (otherwise known as Unit Secretary) position at Washington Hospital Center’s Trauma Center/Emergency room. With help from Grand-dad & Aunt Christina (and a couple other good friends), I moved into our apartment in Falls Church, VA. It has been quite an adventure and my strengths have certainly been challenged, but I have met some wonderful people up here and the educational opportunities are endless (for both Liam and me) which have made it all worth while. On, 18 August I began a health unit coordinator (again, other wise known as Unit Secretary) position at Inova Fairfax Hospital’s Trauma Center/Emergency Room…only 1.5 miles from home! I absolutely love my job and the people with whom I work...not to mention the educational benefits.

Liam finished out his 3rd grade years activities in Florida with Nani and Grand-dad and successfully merged from his first semester of home school into public school at Spring Lake Elementary. He finished the year at the top of his class in reading and commendable FCAT scores. On 7 June, Liam performed in his first dance recital with the School of Performing Arts (where the rest of the dancing O’Brien’s dance). We are extremely proud of his outstanding performance and academic accomplishments. Oh! And we can’t forget he’s now a Weeblo in the Cub Scouts.
After his recital, Liam completed our move by joining me up here. On 2 September (the same day Uncle Bobby and Aunt Christina welcomed Miabella – O’Brien grandchild #7 and the first grandDAUGHTER into the world), he started 4th grade at Pine Spring Elementary School. He is now in the gifted program and is playing Violin through the school. On 4 December Liam performed in his first Violin concert and did a surprisingly impressive job. I am very proud of all of his accomplishments. He has done well and is very much enjoying his new life up here.

All in all 2008 has been quite an eventful year to say the least. We’ve had many visitors from both friends and family (and we’re looking forward to many more in 2009) and visited many new places. We have had a blast exploring the Capital and many of the surrounding areas…and the changes of seasons. Liam visited a couple new states when we visited Aunt Sheila and Uncle Ed in Mechanicsburg, PA, a vacation in Top Sail Island, NC, and an Orioles baseball game in Baltimore, MD with Uncle Will, Aunt Kate, Uncle Claude, and Marcia. Liam also saw snow fall for the very first time on 6 December (exactly one year after I saw it for the first time)!

Yes, 2008 has been a year of change and a year of firsts…”New Beginnings”. We are definitely looking forward to what 2009 has to bring!

We wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season and happy and healthy 2009!

Love,



Katie, Liam, & Torbe (aka. TTT)

PS…Slinkies do NOT go down the Lincoln Memorial steps well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home